8.19.2008

Explorative & Inspiring

I should say " SO MUCH TO EXPLORE & BE INSPIRED" to round up the three-weeks training experience. In AMDC summer intensive, I've seen and felt people's urge, heating passion, devotion and seriousness towards dance, no matter you are a choreographer, a professional dancer, an amateur student or just a dance audience. So do Stella's and my internal fire being heat up, there is no exception. The thing is already there, how deep you can dig into it simply depends on what kind of "ATTITUDE" that you adopt towards the thing that you love for. To dance and to choreograph is a lot of funs but at the same thing it's a serious matter. To quote a meaningful phrase told by my friend who devotes himself in the theatre works : "We should learn how to play a game seriously; and how to deal with sacredness in delicate but relaxing way." , which I think are very strong words and worth to contemplate about.

During the creative process, I've the opportunity to learn from an choreographer (Amy Marshall), who oversees the whole picture, and worked through efficiently with just simple elements to an aesthetically,sophiscated dance piece. Movements need not to be complicated at all times, but how you can make interesting variations and choreograph out of simple little things is a real "big" thing. I am greatly inspired by Amy's works.

Honestly, everything is expensive here in NY, not me as a Chinese tourist said so, even the New Yorker themselves said so. Time is money, thus everything needs to be done in neat time. In the intensive training, we have to learn differents movements, combinations, repertories in a very short period of time and get into your body; We've got to create short dance phrases or make collaboration with partners quickly and presented it. There is no time for your mind to lagging behind, your presence and awareness is essential at all time. I do feel that my brain runs faster here.

Besides from the gorgeous learning experiences we have had, three weeks being lived and stayed together with Stella gave us a good opportunity for opening up some in-depth conversations, sharing our viewpoints and vision towards Macao dance scenario. And I believe that we definitely lacking these kind of communication among Macao local choreographers and dancer themselves, which in fact would have a positive effect on the development of dance / performaning art in Macao.

I don't know how to draw a conclusion here, for me this is just a start..............................................

-- Candy

No comments: