8.19.2008

An unfadable and valuable experience

After 3 weeks of staying in NYC for the program Dance to New York, I would say there is so much to explore, learn and experience here. Take for the summer intensive, the techniques of modern dance and ballet are very different from the dance training I am used to have in Macau, while the creative process and repertoires learning enabled me to learn more for choreography, and most important of all, I really enjoyed the experience of dancing with the passionate and enthusiastic dancers in New York. Their attitude, their relentlessness of performing well in class and their love of dancing really impressed me a lot. In New York, it is really not easy to be a dancer. Absolutely it is a profession that will not enable them to earn a lot. In fact, most of them have to get a part time job for their living. On the other hand, they have to pay for classes to keep themselves well trained for their profession. So, the more I contact them and understand about their profession, the more I esteem for their strong passion and devotion for dancing.

As said by Amy Marshall in the promotional video for this program, "New York is the hub of all kinds of art." With my own experience in New York, I totally agree with this. Just for the art of dancing, there are so many open or intensive classes of different kinds of dance which are available for dance lovers, from ballet, modern, tap, HIP HOP, African… to different movement techniques. On the other hand, there are always audition for dancers posted by different dance companies. Hence, there are plentiful chances of learning, so are chances to work as dancers in New York. Moreover, there are also a lot of opportunities to see different kinds of performances and shows held in New York, and there are many museums to visit. Art seems to be around everywhere. As an artist, it is really very excited being in New York, and I greatly value the experience of being here!

─ Stella

No comments: