6.16.2008

Re: Childhood Story ― rainy days & bicycle

Talking about rainy days, it could be a kind of "collective memory" of Macanese of our age. Yes, the sewage system of Macau in the old days was very poor. Once there was heavy rain, it is very often that the rain water rose to the knee-level. Just like what Candy did, I liked to fold paper boats and let them sail in the raining water. Ha Ha! Rainy days were the only time when we could sail our paper boats. Moreover, once my sister and I had worn our rain shoes out on the street and then happily kicked the rain water around. However, later my mother went out to look for us and saw our naughty behavior. Of course the result was my sister and I being scolded.

As for bicycle, I really haven't seen that special bicycle riding along 提督馬路 by an old man. Really hope that I could meet him on the road someday! On the other hand, your sharing does remind me of the time when riding on BMX bicycles became a trend in Hong Kong and Macau. At that time I always spent the Saturday mornings with my schoolmates by renting bicycles to ride in the garden near Hotel Lisboa (嘉思欄花園). There is a steep path in that garden which I would always want to overcome it by sloping down, U turn and then went up the slope. However, I had never succeeded in doing so. Aside from going out with friends, my father sometimes took me and my sisters to the open car park just in front of Macau Jockey Club in Taipa to let us ride bicycles there. Now of course that area is so full of cars parked and so it is no more suitable for people to ride bicycles there. Moreover, as demand decreased, the small shops which rent out bicycles closed down one by one. Now I wonder whether riding bicycle is no more a popular form of entertainment for the children in Macau, or the general living standard of Macau families is so good that children usually have their own bicycles. But as I observe, I seldom see children riding on bicycles around, instead, what I always see is children playing the electronic games such as PSP, Wii, etc…

― Stella

No comments: